?!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Scottish Terrier Rescue NW - The "Love Before" Bridge

If you are interested in Cheap Nike Magista Obra II FG Blue Orange,Discover More.

Scottish Terrior Rescue NW

Help Others Like Me...

Duncan  II

Lucky Madison
You Too Can Make A Difference!

How Lucky was Madison?
full story...

Rescue is not always successful, Or is it????

Scottina's and Molly's Stories...

The following stories may not be for everyone to read but we feel are an important part of the overall rescue story. They are about two of our Scotties that we were not able to save but at least, before they died, felt human kindness and love. We, at STRNW, take every Scotty, regardless of age or health, and try to make a difference for them. These two Scotties were both touched by humane compassion before they passed.

Scottina's Story by Jan Lawrence
We had a Scotty come in with profound fear and we happened to be calling around trying to get in contact with our behaviorist for some advice. When we called the Pet Pavilion in Tacoma, they were ecstatic when Jan introduced herself as coming from Scottish Terrier Rescue Northwest. It turned out that they had a Scotty in need and did not know anyone in Scotty Rescue to call and this is where Scottina's story began for us.

Scottina This poor little Scotty had been hit by a car on one of the off ramps and had been left for dead. Someone else had come by and seen an animal and covered it with a blanket . We are not sure how long she lay there before one of the Vet Techs at the Pet Pavilion drove by and saw this blanket lift up and start to move. She stopped her car and walked over to investigate and found poor little Scottina laying there alive and not being able to move because of her injuries. She took her in to the Pet Pavilion where they immediately took care of her surface injuries and called the Humane Society to report her being found. The owners have never been found possibly because of the expense involved with her injuries or maybe they just did not care enough to look for her. Either way, here she was very broken and in need of help, which the management of the Pet Pavilion did not walk away from.

By the time we got involved, it had been established through the X-rays that her pelvis had been broken in three places. She desperately needed surgery that would cost in excess of $3000. Scottina was a beautiful Silver brindle Scotty that was probably not a purebred dog but seemed to be so sweet as she looked up at you. She could have melted the toughest of hearts and had no problem getting to me. It was obvious to me in my first meeting that she was in the best of hands where she was and very much loved and cared for in the best way by the staff

Leaving after seeing Scottina, X-Rays in had, I went home and pondered how we were going to get the finances to do what needed to be done for this one. I first e-mailed Pat Agruda, our national coordinator for the Scottish Club of America Rescue and the offer of $1000 from the National Rescue Fund came very quickly with the additional offer that she would go to the board and ask for more money. This was an incredible feeling of support for me as I really did not think that the national group would go out on a limb for this dog. I then started making phone calls trying to get a surgeon to donate his service. We actually got two different vets to offer their services free of charge. I sent the X-rays for them to review and decide what the best procedure would be. We also asked for a senior blood workup to be done on this girl. The results we got back were troubling to say the least, as all of her levels were very high and surgery and sedation could be a definite problem for her. In the end, it was decided to let her heal on her own rather than taking the chance of putting her under for the surgery. It was also determined that she was probably older than we had initially thought which really cemented our decision.

I got on the phone to talk with the management to see if we could keep her at the Pet Pavilion for one more week. I had it all lined up and had practiced my plea on how I was going to ask for more time, but there was another suggestion by the manager. He asked if we would mind if one of his Vet Techs could take her home to nurse her back to health. She certainly had more expertise than we did in dealing with this type of problem and loved Scottina and wanted to keep her and give the type of home that we always search for. This was the best possible outcome for Scottina and having met the Tech on one of my visits, I readily agreed. The Tech was going to take her home that afternoon.

With a big sigh of relief we immediately turned to our other rescue with profound fear and gave him our complete focus. When I called the next day to see how Scottina was doing, there was a long pause on the phone. "Hasn't anyone called you"? I heard on the other end of the phone and my heart sank. She then went on to tell me that Scottina had passed away earlier that day prior to her trip home with the Vet Tech from a blood clot. The staff at the Pet Pavilion were all devastated and did not have the heart to call. I was left with an empty feeling of loss and also of failure. What could we have done differently? The answer, of course, is nothing.

We do not know what her life had been like before but we do know that she felt the love and compassion that the staff at the Pet Pavilion had shown her. I do know that everything was done that could be done to save her life. I also realize how many people cared for this little girl in her final week and it makes me very proud to be part of rescue. The Vets that offered their services for free, the Pet Pavilion that gave so much, our national Scotty rescue group that was ready to send money, the Vet Techs that took care of her daily needs and loved her so much, and to my group that never resisted spending our small amount of funds all came together to save a little animal which no one had seen prior to her last week. Is this a failure or a triumph for humane kindness?

Back To Top

Molly's Story by Dale Lawrence
While Jan and I were on vacation this year, we got an urgent call from a friend of rescue, saying that we had a dog at the Humane Society in need of help. I immediately called Harry and Florence Hicks to see if they could take care of this one for us. With a call to the Humane Society, Harry was told that they needed to keep the dog for a couple of more days to satisfy their regulation to allow time for the owner to pick it up.

Molly's Uncut NailsWell, that never happened and, as we found out later, she had probably been dumped off out in Purdy, WA to fiend for herself when the obvious need for vet care became obvious and probably too expensive. We know that this animal was not wild as her toe nails had grown in a full circle with neglect in cutting them by the owner. A dog in the wild can not survive in this condition as it can not defend itself or chase any wild animals for food.

It did not take long to see that this had been a severely abused dog with absolutely no health care for years. When you saw her walk, she would walk down on her hocks. This is very pitiful to observe and could have been helped early on. Molly was obviously somewhere between 10 and 13 years old and in terrible shape. At this point we all agreed that we just wanted to fix her and let her live out her remaining days with human compassion. We took her to the vet and got all of her vaccinations, did a pre-op blood work-up, took care of her anal gland, and flushed her ears that had been infected for years. She was diagnosed with advanced bladder cancer which was like getting a dagger in the heart. We all have been through that with so many dogs. We decided not to operate but try to make her feel as comfortable as possible and there is no better place than Harry and Florence's for that.

Jan and Florence, trying to be oh so gentle, bathed and groomed Molly and treated some of her infections, cut off some mats and gave her back the dignity of looking like a Scotty. It would break anyone's heart as she would look up at you wondering what you were going to do to her. "Will there be more pain?" She might have asked herself after years of enduring neglect.

Molly's HaircutMolly eased her way into Harry and Florence's heart very quickly as she looked just like their very first Scotty, very small and walking on her hocks. They would carry her outside to a large penned in area for her to play. She would just sit there and wait to be picked up and carried back to her inside area. She picked up very quickly that Harry and Florence would be glad to give her that extra care and love. Harry says, "She had such a sweet disposition and would cooperate with everything that we wanted her to do or that we would have to do to her."

The time for her to feel loved and wanted was cut very short. She kept getting weaker and weaker until one day after a mere two weeks I got a very sad call from the Hicks asking if they could take her to the vet to have her euthanized. Knowing that this would be the absolute last thing that Harry and Florence would ever ask and only when all else had failed and they felt she was suffering, I agreed. I think Florence held this little girl all the way to the vet's office with tears rolling down her face. This was very difficult for them as they had fallen for Molly and her plight and again, had reminded them of the first Scotty that they had lost. The staff at All Creatures Animal Clinic came out to the car to help with the dog. The Hicks never knew, as they left, whether she had died on her own or with the help of the Vet as we all knew death was near.

What we all know is that Molly felt human compassion in her final days. It may have been her first time to be held and cared about but for her last two weeks, she knew she was loved and she felt what it was like to be cherished by someone.

Back To Top

Small Scotty About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | © 2006 Scottish Terrier Rescue Northwest